The group discussions and assignments are all designed to increase knowledge and develop a range of skills that are rarely taught at university or art college
Sue Halstead 2009
I still keep work diaries and use time-lines, tools I learned on the course. I
gained in self-confidence, met like-minded people and have sold some
Lesley Harper 2010
I found the course really useful because it made me focus on how I want to
use my creative skills to find work
Laura Hickman 2009
The course also offered me the chance to take part in a professional exhibition where I could exhibit my artwork and also meet contacts which enabled me to open my own business.
Charlotte Clark 2013
This course has been a lifeline for me. From my very first session I have gone away with practical advice and goal orientated structure. I've enjoyed
meeting other creative people (undertaking the course and as guest lecturers) and feeling the sense of connection...
Suki Bassi July 2013
‘Steps to Self-Employment’ stage 1 gives an overview of different options for freelance working. During the course you will be encouraged to explore ways of working as a freelancer in the creative sector and to investigate opportunities for creative freelancers locally and regionally. Topics will include:
- investigating enterprise skills
- the basics of business record keeping
- action planning for your business
- ways of working in the freelance sector
- working creatively in the local community
‘Steps to Self-Employment’ stage 2 gives an overview of Social Media marketing for creative businesses.
The course will provide an outline of ways of marketing your creative business online in particular focusing on how Social Media can be used to build your business profile.
Topics will include:
· Identifying and targeting your customers
· Using Twitter to market your creative business
· Promoting your business using a Facebook page
· Improving your Search Engine optimisation (SEO)
· Using Pinterest and Instagram for visual marketing
· Maximising your profile on LinkedIn
· Using Youtube for business promotion
‘Steps to Self-Employment’ stage 3 is aimed at people with creative skills who would like to set up their own business. The course provides a launch platform for emerging or start-up businesses making their first steps to promote their work.
During the course learners will analyse their business skills and aims. They will complete a written business profile and work with others to mount a public exhibition of their work.
Topics will include:
· your business and your values
· completing a SWOT analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities & Threats)
· marketing your business
· pricing your work
· organising and presenting your work as part of a showcase exhibition
For further details please contact Moya Lloyd via email:email@example.com. You can also call the Creative Studies department on 01902 558164